This page gives information about the WORT HOG BREWERS Summer Beer Festival 2017. It'll hopefully help answer questions from both exhibitors and guests.
- When is the festival ?
Saturday 13th May 2017 between 11.00 a.m. and 4.00 p.m. If you are collecting tickets for your guests, you can collect them at the entrance from 10.30. Beers only poured from Festival Opening at 11.00. Tickets (& glasses) will only be handed to the WHB Member / Exhibitor.
- Where will the festival be held ?
THE FARM INN – Country Hotel & Wildlife Sanctuary (www.farminn.co.za), Tel: 012 809 0266, Portion 26, Zwartkoppies. Silverlakes Road, Right into Troika Crescent.
- Where does the beer come from ?
All of the beer at the festival is donated free of charge by brewers with large hearts. We cannot and will not accept any rewards for our donations other than the broad smiles on your faces when your whistles are whetted.
- Who can attend the festival ?
There are five categories of people attending and these are 'Exhibiting WHB Members', 'Members', 'Guests', 'Special Guests' and 'Partners' :-
- Exhibiting WHB Members are members (in good standing with any chapter) of the club who have donated beer for the event and who will dispense it on the day to the guests. The exhibitors can invite their friends, families or work colleagues along to join them and can do so at a rate of 'one guest per 3 litres of donated beer'.
- WHB Members are members (in good standing with any chapter) of the club and they are entitled to two tickets at R120 each. The tickets are not allocated automatically. Members are to apply to the organiser for their tickets.
- Guests are those lucky people invited by an exhibitor. If you are invited then you are equal to 3 litres of fine beer. Interesting. Exhibitors are expected to cover the cost of their guest / tickets upfront. It is up to the exhibitor or member whether or not she/he recovers that cost from their guest
- Special Guests are those even luckier people who are specifically invited on the day by the club itself and are a mixture of industry and media people. They receive complementary tickets.
- Partners . . . see below !
- What's the point of the 'one guest per 3 litres of beer' rule?
The only way to ensure enough beer for the people so that the day is a success is to have some control over the ratio of 'beer drinkers' to 'beer volume'.
- Why must I pledge a minimum of 18 litres ?
Like the 3 Litre Rule ... and with the growth in populariy of the Summer Beer Festival, we set a minimum quantity so that the beer lasts the day.
- What's the deal with the glasses ?
The tasting glasses will be circa 200 ml and the exhibitors will only dispense their beer into the official tasting glasses. With your wristband / ticket on your wrist in the proper fashion and glass in hand you may then proceed to taste beer! And remember, you get to keep your glass and take it home with you!
- I have a ticket, can I bring a buddy / partner?
There are two parts to this answer :-
- If your partner is not a beer drinker then please bring them along, they will not have a ticket for the event and they will therefore not receive a tasting glass on the day. But as they don't drink beer this shouldn't be a problem! Other drinks will be on sale, see below.
- If your partner is a beer drinker (and I mean by this that they want their own glass and to sample loads of beer,) then they can only come along if they can wangle themselves a ticket. For this you must talk to the exhibitor who invited you and see if he / she has any spare tickets. Its possible that some extra tickets will be available and your exhibitor may be able to tap into this pool, so ask them! If not, we're very sorry !!
- What other drinks will be on offer on the day ?There will be other drinks available on the day ! PLEASE NOTE THOUGH THAT AS IT IS A LICENSED VENUE YOU BRING YOUR OWN DRINKS TO CONSUME ON THE PREMISES.
- Will there be food available at the event ?
Yes ! We are bringing a food vendor, maybe two, from GP's top weekend food markets. AGAIN, PLEASE NOTE YOU BRING YOUR OWN FOOD / BRAAI / PICNIC ALONG.
- Is the venue suitable for kids ?
Yes ! The venue boasts a jungle gym and farm yard petting zoo situated close-by in the garden. A SMALL, KIND-HEARTED DONATION WHICH CAN BE MADE AT THE ZOO, WILL BE APPRECIATED, AS THESE DONATIONS ARE PUT TOWARDS THE WELL-BEING AND UPKEEP OF THE ANIMALS AT THE SANCTUARY.
- The people want Beer Festival T-Shirts !
This year we will have commemorative Festival T-Shirts once again that will feature the logo and date on the front. These will be on sale at the festival in a limited quantity, on a first come first serve basis (usual price per shirt is around R120, but we cannot guarantee that it will be the final price as there are still some cost implications that we have to consider).
- Anything else I should think about ?
Yes, getting home ! Please get a nominated driver or a partner / friend to drop you off or collect you. Alternatively, you could consider booking a room at The Farm Inn - please contact them directly should you wish to pursue this option. The Wort Hog Brewers Club and the event organisers, as well as The Farm Inn will not be held responsible for anything that happens to you as a result of attending this festival (other than you developing an improved appreciation for good beer and wanting to start brewing).
Otherwise, we look forward to meeting you all on the day and, if you have any extra questions or suggestions, please contact the festival organiser :